Monday, March 17, 2008

Africa!


AFRICA!!!!

Well with that being said, i almost don't even know where to start. I found out in early February that I had been picked to go to Africa for a 3 week study on the growth and spread of certain infectious diseases in 3 impoverished areas. ( I am giving you guys the short version of all this because I actually have to write this up for a real paper, and I am putting that off for as long as I can :) ) My job as the handy dandy undergrad assistant was to log a TON of information and try to somehow keep track of the various diseases we were seeing. I learned so much and even though this technically puts me a semester behind, the experience was definitely worth it.

Without my handy little guide book and stack of notes that somehow managed to end up in Amsterdam ( I need that stuff Johanna), I really can't go into much detail because I tend to butcher African names, cities, and customs...but I digress.

Needless to say I saw some pretty extreme conditions that really put perspective on the things I complain about day to day. I'm not saying I'm going to stop complaining, but I will definitely feel really guilty when I do. I kid, we saw several great organizations that are trying to help, and things are slowly but surely getting done. I hope to go volunteer at some point, to go and help, not just observe, but this experience was one I will never forget. (that sounds really cheesy, I know)

Oh, P.S. sorry I have no real pictures, it seems that 4 memory cards worth of Africa pictures some how walked away from me, I am thinking somewhere between South Africa and New York (that really narrows it down)
I really really really wanted to cry when I couldn't find them, but I am hoping my good pal Johanna will email me some of hers! (hint hint)

No comments: